Day: Wed 15 Nov, 2017
Venue: Tieva, Lappia Hall, Rovaniemi
- Tero Vauraste - Chair, Arctic Economic Council
- Katri Kulmuni - Chair of UN Association of Finland, Chair of Finnish Delegation to the Conference of Parliamentarians of the Arctic Region, Finland
- Liisa Rohweder - General-Secretary, WWF, Finland
- Stephen Mooney - Director of Cold Climate Innovation (CCI) at the Yukon Research Centre
- Other invited speakers (tbc)
Pirita Näkkäläjärvi, Consultant, PwC Strategy&
Why this theme?
The main theme of the Conference is to study and discuss the connection between the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Arctic. This is the first session after the opening speeches and here we start by the asking what kind of economic development is needed when we are making the connection between SDGs and the Arctic. Economic development models are obviously among the most important issues when we discuss the future of the Arctic.
Who are the panelists?
Moderator Pirita Näkkäläjärvi is a strategy professional with finance and Sámi media background. In the panel, there are representatives of various Arctic stakeholders such as companies, academia, indigenous peoples, NGOs and policymakers.
What can we expect?
We are looking for a lively and informed discussion which goes further than once more expressing the need for a sustainable Arctic economy. The UN Sustainable Development Goals are clearly defined but making them relevant in the Arctic context requires concrete steps.